In Canada, we’re fortunate to have government healthcare that covers doctors’ visits, in‐hospital procedures and so on. But there’s a lot that’s not covered — like prescription drugs, eyeglasses, dental care and more. Those expenses can take up a big chunk of your family budget, especially when they’re unexpected.
a resident of Canada, over the age of 18 and covered by a government healthcare plan, your acceptance is guaranteed at time of application. That makes this the perfect plan for individuals, couples and families who are looking for comprehensive coverage and:
- Are looking for a higher prescription drug benefit limit ($2,500* in paid expenses, which is the highest pre-existing drug maximum available)
- Want an easy application/prefer not to answer medical questions
- May have pre-existing medical conditions or have been denied health coverage in the past
- Are seeking out Lifestyle* drug coverage as part of their plan, including vaccines, birth control, medical marijuana, anti-obesity drugs, smoking cessation, erectile dysfunction drugs, flash glucose sensors and more
- Are looking for a supplemental plan but don’t currently have a group plan, are self-employed, running a small business or retired.
Here is what Manulife’s Guaranteed Issued Enhanced Plan covers
The Guaranteed Issue Enhanced Health and Dental plan provides you with a wide range of coverage including dental, registered specialists, vision, mental health care and therapy, travel and more – all at a competitive price. For expenses you have in your home province or territory, take a look at these features* (lifetime maximums and a waiting period may apply; read your policy for details):
- 80% to a plan maximum of $2,500 per year for generic and brand name drugs (unless they have a lower cost alternative), including $500 per year for Lifestyle* drugs like
- prescription birth control drugs (whether or not taken for birth control purposes)
- flash glucose sensors
- oral, erectile dysfunction drugs (whether or not taken for erectile dysfunction purposes)
- smoking cessation drugs and aids, up to a lifetime maximum of $300
- medical marijuana (must use Manulife’s medical marijuana program)
- intra-uterine devices (IUDs) and diaphragms
- anti-obesity drugs
- Maximum dispensing fee of $6.50
- 80% to a plan maximum of $450 in paid expenses per year
- Reimbursement on exams, cleanings, fillings, scaling, polishing, root planing, diagnostic and other basic dental service, and extensive services including oral surgery, endodontics, periodontics, and denture services
- 12-month recall period
- Scaling units limit to 4 units per benefit year, excludes fluoride
Extended Health Care
- 80% up to a combined plan maximum of $500 per year for registered specialists and therapists including acupuncturists, athletic therapists, chiropractors, osteopaths, naturopaths, chiropodists, podiatrists, massage therapists, physiotherapists, and dietitians
- $65 maximum for first visit and $45 maximum per subsequent visits for up to 10 visits combined maximum per year for mental health and therapy provided by psychologists, psychotherapists, clinical counsellors, registered social workers, and speech therapists.
- Up to $200 per year for medical equipment including casts, canes, and crutches
- Up to $250 every 3 years for walkers and knee-walkers
- Up to $250 per year for oxygen
- Up to $1,000 per person every 2 years for standard non-electric wheelchairs and hospital adjustable beds
- Up to $60 every 5 years for blood pressure monitors
Prosthetics and medical supplies
- Up to $1,000 per year for prosthetics and standard artificial limbs (arm, leg, eye, ear, finger, or toe prostheses and larynx or voice prosthesis) and braces
- Up to $250 per year for urinary kits and ostomy supplies
- Up to $100 per year for one pair of surgical stockings or compression leg sleeves
- Up to $500 every 3 years for wigs for oncology related diagnosis, and external breast prosthesis following a mastectomy
- Up to $100 per year for sterile surgical bandages, dressings or burn jackets used for post-surgery treatment or treatment of open wounds
- Up to $250 every 2 years for orthotics
- Up to $500 every 5 years, starting in year 2
- Charges for the service of a Registered Nurse (R.N.) or Registered Practical Nurse (R.P.N.) up to $500 for anniversary years 1 and 2, $1,000 in year 3, $2,500 in year 4 and $4,000 in years 5+
- Unlimited ground and air in your home province
- Plan maximum of $200 every 2 benefit years to cover costs towards prescription eyewear, including lenses and frames, contact lenses, and laser eye surgery (3 month waiting period)
- Plan maximum of $60 every 2 benefit years for optometrist fees, where optometrist visits are not covered by a government health insurance plan
- Up to $50/day up to a maximum of $1,000 every 2 years to cover your out-of-pocket expenses during a hospital stay including food, gift shop and pharmacy purchases, parking, Wi-Fi, TV, and private transportation out of the hospital to home
- 3 month waiting period
- Deductible: $200 per claim
- Coverage ceases at age 70, and hospital room charges for medical treatment for a chronic-care condition or slow-stream rehabilitation in a hospital or private hospital are not covered
In-Canada Emergency Medical Travel Insurance
- Up to a combined $1,000 every 2 years if you are referred by a physician to a hospital, medical treatment centre or medical specialist because, in the physician’s opinion, adequate medical treatment is not available within 1,000 kilometers round trip of your province of residence for:
- Round trip economy class travel tickets via a commercial airline, rail, bus, or ferry for you and, if required, a companion; or
- Mileage for other land transportation, such as a car or taxi, calculated according to the Canada Revenue Agency’s automobile allowance rate for the year the expense took place.
- Excludes amenities and car rental fare other than fuel.
- Transportation must take place within 2 months of the referral.
- Accommodation in a hotel or other commercial facility for you and, if required, a companion,
- combined maximum up to $75 per day for you and a companion, during the treatment, 1 day before and 1 day after the treatment
- Meals, to a combined maximum up to $50 per day for you and, if required, a companion, during the treatment, 1 day before and 1 day after the treatment
Emergency Medical Travel: Outside of Canada
- $5 million per person maximum
- 10 days per trip, unlimited number of trips
- Coverage ceases at age 70
- 9-month stability required (see information on stability here)
- Deductible: $200 per claim
- $50,000 per adult (above 18 and under 65)
- $15,000 per child and adults 65 and older
- Plan maximum of $10,000 per year
- Premiums will be waived for 1 year following the death of an adult insured after Year 1
TELUS Health Virtual Care
- 24/7 access to healthcare practitioners online, through the app
- Easy access to lab results, prescriptions, refills, and referrals
- 6 months every 3 years for one of the services
- LivingWell Companion – Get live access to a trained operator for emergency assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Includes an optional fall detector
- SmartHome Security – Get home security and home monitoring from your smartphone.
Want to talk through your options?
There’s lots of information out there. Speaking with us at SBIS is an effective way to sort some of it out. Is Manulife’s Guaranteed Issue Plan just what you are looking for? Give us a call today or go online to apply for coverage for you and your loved ones.
*Accurate based on plan features and all major Canadian competitors as of December 2021